Monday, September 8, 2008

Grandmother's Birthday

My only living grandparent turned 90 years old September 2, 2008. Tommy and I drove out to Wake Village, Texas to help her celebrate. It was a fun but fast trip. As Hurricane Gustav made his way in-land we had to head home a day early. My grandmother amazes me. She has several health problems and recently had a small stroke, however she is still sharp as a tack. She was telling us how to cook and where to put things away. She had a small party with mostly her neighbors and some family, a cake and punch. It was a nice celebration. Here is the card I made her for her birthday. It is one of my "go to" card sketches I really like and find easy to make. I used Almost Amethyst paper and ink and Whisper white paper. The embellishments are eggplant grosgrain and the pink button. I love old people. Yes, they can be like children sometimes, but they have seen so much. Can you imagine life in 1918? The changes they have seen in their lifetime must be overwhelming. I am afraid we as a society do not give the proper respect to our elderly citizens. So, when you read this I encourage you to hug a senior citizen, go visit a shut in, call your grandparent or parent for that matter. Just a card or kind word means so much to these special people.

No comments: