Friday, December 9, 2011

The Marriage of Two Recipes

Good morning. This is not a stamping post today. My other love is cooking. I have loved to cook since I was very young. I even entered the Autauga County Fair with I was 13 or 14 and won first place for a sour creme surprise pound cake! I also won prizes for my biscuits and cornbread muffins. Of course, this is not a big surprise as my Nana and mother were both excellent cooks and bakers. My mother still is, but Nana is probably cooking up a storm in heaven. Well, recently I need to make something with left over Turkey. I am a big Pampered Chef fan and used to sell Pampered Chef cooking tools, so I thought of the Turkey Cranberry ring that was very popular several years ago. Unfortunately I didn't have most of the ingredients. I did have turkey, mayo, celery, and cranberries. One of the most important ingredients in a ring is the crescent rolls, didn't have these. What to do?Well, I had biscuits- an idea is brewing. Criss-cross apple crowns use biscuits!!! So I substitute biscuits for the crescent rolls, then I substituted Parmesan cheese for Swiss, pecans for walnuts and honey mustard for Dijon!! I rolled out the biscuits and put a large scoop of turkey mixture in the center and pinched the bottom together placing them in a stone muffin pan. I have to say, it worked great and they came out delicious. We had individual turkey cranberry stuffed bundles! They were great that night for dinner and the next day for lunch! Sometimes thinking outside the box can be a good thing. Substitution can produce a great new recipe, however, I don't suggest using frosted flakes in place of corn flakes on top of a hash brown casserole-that's a story for another day! Have a very blessed day and bless some one else today.

No comments: